The following resources may be helpful to you during your time as a research student and are available, by arrangement, through the Research Degrees Office.
As always if you have used any of the resources listed here and have feedback on how useful you found them please get in touch with the Research Degrees Office.
Getting Ready for Viva - RGU DVD
This programme aims to provide information targeted at those students who are preparing for the viva. The emphasis of the programme is on types of preparation you can usefully do, questions to ask and strategies to discuss with your supervisory team. To this end the programme is split into five sections covering various steps and procedures involved in getting ready for your viva.
All students receive a copy when they attend Module 2 of the PgCert Research Methods course.
Research Supervision - Video/Audio Cassette
This programme is intended for both students and supervisors and aims to address some of the common issues surrounding research supervision. It aims to enable both students and supervisors to:
- Developing insights into each others experiences;
- To learn from the experience of others;
- To reflect on the supervision process;
- To develop an agenda for dialogue.
Thesis Writing - Video
This programme should be of use to all research students, particularly those who are at the start of their research. Notes accompany the video and illustrate general points covered in the programme in more detail.
The programme covers:
- Problems associated with thesis writing: getting started, producing acceptable text and finishing on time;
- Management of the research process, including management of the student-supervisor relationship.